FRIENDS' cultural immigrant initiative, ‘Beyond the Bricks’ was featured on CUNY TV's, DiverseCITY a program celebrating the kaleidoscope of cultures that underpin the identity of New York City. This episode dives into Yorkville’s German history and features former executive director Rachel Levy highlighting FRIENDS' efforts to keep the history of
As the Third and Second Avenue elevated trains rumbled their way uptown to Yorkville in the early 1880s, passengers would have seen streets around them that were unevenly lined with new tenement construction, in addition to a lot of empty lots. The Panic of 1879 had interrupted new development in
FRIENDS recently capped its weeklong series exploring the cultural and historical context of Yorkville’s City and Suburban First Avenue Estate and the decades-long battle to preserve it, which relied upon both local advocates and the legal system at our country’s highest court.
April 2020 marks the 55th anniversary of the New York City Landmarks Law, and this year, our neighborhood has something extra special to celebrate as we honor this milestone year. As of October 2019, the City and Suburban First Avenue Estate has been saved from demolition, thanks to a years-long,
Today we celebrate the recipient of our 2020 Renaissance Award, Park Avenue Synagogue. Last year the Synagogue completed a campus-wide renovation, with a program for the East 87th Street Synagogue House in tandem with the newly acquired building on East 89th Street.
Today, New Yorkers are staying home in order to help stop the spread of coronavirus. The fact that our homes have become a first-line defense in the fight against infection adds this moment in New York City to a timeline, spanning well over 100 years, when the relationship between apartment
At FRIENDS, we relish our role as your watchdog for the Upper East Side. We fight to protect everything you love about the neighborhood — the gorgeous architecture, the tree-lined streets, and the mom-and-pop businesses.
Today, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted to designate the First Hungarian Reformed Church (a.k.a. 344-346 East 69th Street) designed by Emery Roth and built from 1915-1916 and the exteriors of the National Society of Colonial Dames building (a.k.a. 215 East 71st Street) designed by Richard Henry Dana Jr. and