The architecture, scale, and small shops of the Upper East Side make it one of the only authentic neighborhoods left in New York City. Our Members are helping FRIENDS fight to protect the future livability of the this community.
Founded in 1982, FRIENDS is an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving and celebrating the architectural legacy, livability, and sense of place of the Upper East Side. As a member of FRIENDS, you’ll be part of a thoughtful and active group of residents, professionals and business people who care deeply about the Upper East Side and seek to protect its quality of life.
On a day-to-day basis we serve as the eyes and ears of the neighborhood, monitoring and protecting the area’s seven historic districts and more than 120 individual landmarks. Our advocacy goes beyond traditional historic preservation. We are also the leading voice for common sense development on the Upper East Side. FRIENDS has played – and continues to play – an important role in maintaining and improving the zoning laws which govern development on the area’s avenues and residential side streets. To that end, we testify on all Landmarks Preservation Commission items affecting the Upper East Side, and monitor and testify before the Community Board, City Planning Commission, Public Design Commission, Board of Standards and Appeals, the City Council, and other agencies, on city government actions likely to impact the neighborhood.
Your Membership Helps to
- PRESERVE the Upper East Side’s historic architecture, from stately townhouses and apartment buildings to churches and tenements built for the working class.
- ENRICH public appreciation of architecture and preservation through public programs, book talks, and walking tours.
- ADVOCATE for human-scale development, while fighting to stem the tide of megatowers rising along our avenues.
- PROTECT precious open space, from Central Park to our pocket parks and plazas.
- EDUCATE the next generation of citizen activists by providing over 2,000 elementary school students each year with programs on the architecture and history of the community
Member Benefits Include:
- REDUCED-PRICE TICKETS to our events, including walking tours, book talks, and lectures.
- A COMPLEMENTARY SUBSCRIPTION to our seasonal newsletter.
- INVITATION TO MEMBERS-ONLY ANNUAL AWARDS CEREMONY held each spring, where we honor the best-of-the best in restoration projects, new construction, advocacy efforts, local businesses, preservation leaders, and more!
- EMAIL ALERTS WITH UP-TO-DATE NEWS on the latest planning and preservation issues affecting the neighborhood.
- DISCOUNTS at select museums, including 10% off the gift shop at the Museum of the City of New York.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: membership brings YOU to the forefront of our ongoing work to preserve and protect the Upper East Side.