Last spring FRIENDS visited Four Freedoms Park at the southern tip of Roosevelt Island, now join us for the northern route! The island’s history is as varied as its many names – Minnehanonck, Varkens Eylandt (Hog Island), Blackwell’s Island, Welfare Island.
FRIENDS of the Upper East Side Historic Districts has carefully reviewed the proposal presented for expansion of the Frick Collection to our Board Members on July 17, 2014.
As you may now know, the Subway Inn will officially close its doors this month after nearly 80 years on East 60th street. Join FRIENDS for an ‘Un-Happy Hour’ as we say goodbye to an Upper East Side institution.
Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts (FRIENDS) joined community members and elected officials today to praise the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) for voting unanimously to deny an owner’s request to demolish landmarked low-income housing on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Palaces for the People: Guastavino and the Art of Structural Tile is a major exhibition exploring the innovations the Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company (1889-1962) brought to the science and art of building.
Council Member Ben Kallos committed staff members and interns for a day of surveying in his district. FRIENDS has been working for the last four years to document the built fabric and cultural resources of Yorkville, and we are now nearing completion. Thanks to Council Member Kallos and his staff for helping out!
Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts, founded in 1982, is an independent, not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to preserving the architectural legacy, livability, and sense of place of the Upper East Side.