140 East 74th Street
John G. Prague
Upper East Side Historic District
An Italianate style rowhouse designed by John G. Prague and built in 1871-75. Application is to alter a one-story commercial extension and replace a sidewalk canopy.
CB8 Hearing: 09/19/22 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 10/25/22 (Approved)
FRIENDS Preservation Committee would have liked to see a more holistic approach towards this building. Described in the designation report as the only one in the row to still retain the triangular pediment at the entrance and the stoop, it is unfortunate its facade is in such bad condition. Nonetheless, we believe the proposed alterations to the addition to be an improvement to what is currently there.
The history of this one-story commercial addition is quite intriguing. The designation report dates it to 1931, the same year when a new Certificate of Occupancy was issued to account for an alteration to add a restaurant at the basement level. However, the 1940s tax photo does not show the addition.
FRIENDS is not opposed to the slight enlargement of the windows and doors, and we believe the new wood trim details, as well as the slimmer canopy are more appropriate to this building’s character and style. We believe, however, that a lighter paint color would be more sympathetic to this Italianate rowhouse and the adjoining residential