14 East 60th Street
Alter the westernmost marquee, replace windows and doors, and install awnings and signage
Upper East Side Historic District
A Beaux-Arts style hotel building designed by R.C. Gildersleeve and built in 1902. Application is to alter the westernmost marquee, replace windows and doors, and install awnings and signage
CB8 Hearing: 03/14/16 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 03/22/16 (Approved with Modifications)
The original portion of the building, constructed in 1902, consists of the easternmost five bays. In 1905, an additional four bays were added to the west, and were designed to complement the existing building. The newer addition is slightly recessed and was meant to defer to the original building, which held the main entrance through an elaborate portico.
Because the scope of this proposal extends from the newer portion of the building into the older portion, it is difficult to create an aesthetic balance at the ground floor. Some members of our Committee felt that the fabric awnings may obscure the arched details of the windows, and that the addition of the fabric skirt beneath the marquee is too busy. The proposed casement windows are agreeable, but historically the building had multi-light casements at the ground floor, and a return to these windows in the future would be preferable. Because of its commercial use, this building has endured many alterations in years past, including the elongation of its ground floor windows and the addition of the two existing marquees. Overall, we believe that the treatment of the ground floor should be mindful of the building’s phased construction. We suggest that the Commission continue to work with the applicant to design a harmonious approach, and perhaps create a master plan for the windows and awnings in the future.