744 Madison Avenue
Rouse & Goldstone
Upper East Side Historic District
A commercial building originally designed by Rouse & Goldstone in 1917; altered by Kenneth B. Norton in 1938; and altered and enlarged pursuant to Certificate of Appropriateness 10- 3979 by Page Ayres Cowley Architects. Application is to install an awning.
CB8 Hearing: 04/18/16 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 05/17/16 (Approved)
Over the years, 744 Madison Avenue has changed drastically. Of the original 1917 building, all that remains is the two story storefront and small winged entries at either end. As part of the 2008 application which enlarged the building, the backs of these winged entrances were bricked-in. Although the addition of brick infill means that these wings have been altered slightly, they are still very important to this building as one of the few original details left. The proposed addition of the fixed awning will conceal some of the distinctive architectural features of this entry, including the recessed arch, keystone, and fanlight window. We ask that the Commission deny this application in order to protect a small original piece of this highly-altered building.