51-53 East 73rd Street
John G. Prague
Upper East Side Historic District
A pair of Queen Anne style rowhouses designed by John G. Prague and built in 1885-86. Application is to construct a stoop and alter the front façade and areaway, replace windows and doors, construct rooftop and rear yard additions, and excavate the rear yard.
CB8 Hearing: 6/23/23 (Disapproved)
LPC Hearing: 7/18/23 (Approved with modifications)
FRIENDS’ Preservation Committee commends the applicants on their careful consideration of the concerns expressed by the Community Board to the earlier iteration of the design, and the thoughtful and imaginative ways in which they have revised their design to respond to the concerns.
We find the new layout of the main entrance inspired by the original stoop at No. 53 to be contextual and appropriate and we appreciate the fact that it will maintain the existing footprint and not impede the public way, leaving sufficient room for the two tree pits on the sidewalk in front of the building. Our Preservation Committee appreciates the applicants’ proposal to preserve the Queen Anne details on the main facade and we do not object to the replacement of the 1945 brick base with a brownstone-tinted stucco base painted a light color, harking back to the historical facade.
On the rear of the building, FRIENDS’ Preservation Committee finds the design of the rear facade interesting and likes the design concept linking it to William Lescaze’s modernist house on the 74th Street side of the block. We also appreciate the landscaping and greenery, and do not object to the expansive glazing, although we urge the applicants to try and minimize the impact of light reflections off the glass.