167 East 73rd Street
George L. Amoroux
A Beaux Arts style carriage house designed by George L. Amoroux and built in 1903-1904. Application is to install flagpoles and signage.
CB8 Hearing: 3/15/23 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 3/28/23
As the home of our founder, Halina Rosenthal, who also served as president of the 73rd Street Block Association, this street and the extraordinary carriage houses that line it between Lexington and Third Avenues has always held a particular interest for us at FRIENDS of the Upper East Side Historic Districts. We welcome the Consulate General of the Slovak Republic to this historic stretch.
We commend the applicants on their subtle and elegant solution to the challenge of installing two flagpoles on the ornate entrance of this Beaux Arts style carriage house. The use of a single mounting for the flagpoles, and the effort to ensure that the poles do not extend too far from the entrance, are appreciated, and will not detract from the character of the building. In addition, the signage to the right of the entrance in stainless steel with recessed black lettering is subtle and fitting on this historic façade.