16 East 84th Street
Clinton & Russell
Metropolitan Museum Historic District
An altered neo-Georgian style rowhouse designed by Clinton & Russell and built in 1899-1900. Application is to legalize windows installed at the 3rd floor without Landmarks Preservation Commission permits.
CB8 Hearing: 04/13/15 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 04/21/15 (Approved)
Other projects: April 24, 2018
The alterations to the facade at 16 East 84th Street have resulted in unsympathetic changes and LPC violations for the third through fifth floors. This is unfortunate and our Committee was hard-pressed to identify an easy solution. Under simpler circumstances, with owner consensus, we would prefer for the building to return to its original three window configuration. However we understand the complexities of this particular case.
Although it is not ideal, the Preservation Committee at FRIENDS found the legalization of the third floor windows to be acceptable. Indeed, we hope that the building can be restored to its original design in the future.