129 East 94th Street
Construct a rear yard addition
Expanded Carnegie Hill Historic District
A neo-Grec style rowhouse designed by F.S. Barus and built in 1878-79. Application is to construct a rear yard addition.
CB8 Hearing: 11/17/2014 (Disapproved)
LPC Hearing: 12/09/2014 (Approved)
FRIENDS Testimony: FRIENDS appreciates the sensitive, historically informed brownstone restoration on the front of 129 East 94th Street. Although it is not part of the application which is subject to public review, it is worth applauding the applicant for their plan to restore the stoop.
The work on the rear, however, raised a number of red flags. The rear-yard addition will disrupt a remarkably intact interior court. An incursion into the green space would cause a domino effect, slowly chipping away at this rare urban retreat as each neighbor constructs their own addition. Further, we found the amount of glazing proposed for the garden and parlor floors to be excessive, and a violation of the characterizing features of a secondary façade.
The Preservation Committee at FRIENDS requests that the commission deny the application.