107 East 64th Street
W.P. & A.M. Parsons
George B. Post & Sons (1939)
Upper East Side Historic District
A rowhouse designed by W.P. & A.M. Parsons, originally built in 1881-1882, and later altered c. 1939 by George B. Post & Sons.
CB8 Hearing: 11/16/20 (approved)
LPC Hearing: 12/15/20
While the proposed rooftop addition is minimal in size and not considered by the Department of Buildings an occupiable floor, FRIENDS believes it to be too visible. We understand that a previously proposed rooftop addition at 105 East 64th would render the bulkhead and vestibule at number 107 non-visible from Fifth Avenue, however, our Preservation Committee makes decision based on what the neighborhood currently is, and not on what could possibly be built in the future.
None of the neighboring rowhouses currently have occupiable rooftop additions, so the visibility, excess glazing, and future bright patina developed by the copper shingles will draw undue attention to the roofline of this building. We ask the Commission to deny this application and for the applicant to re-think the scale and visibility of any proposed rooftop addition.