Saint Ignatius Loyola Church and Rectory
Patrick C. Keely
Park Avenue Historic District
A Second Empire and Gothic Revival style rectory building designed by Patrick C. Keely and built in 1881-1883. Application is to modify the front areaway and construct a barrier-free access ramp.
CB8 Hearing: 12/11/17 (Accessible Ramp and Elevator: Approved; LED Church Lighting: Disapproved)
LPC Hearing: 04/17/18 (Approved)
Other projects: January 11, 2022
The proposed ramp has been designed with the goals of minimal visual impact and sensitivity to the historic iron fencing in mind. We feel comfortable that the adaptation of a section of fence into an operable gate will not significantly alter the appearance of the Rectory building and its areaway, and will indeed help to lessen the visibility of the new accessibility ramp. Our Preservation Committee found the solution to re-plant the Dogwood tree in a protected enclosure to be very clever, though we question if this is a feasible permanent solution for the congregation’s request to preserve this planting. FRIENDS supports this application.