117 East 64th Street
Upper East Side Historic District
A neo-Grec style residence with neo-Georgian elements designed by John McCool and built in 1876-1877, with later alterations designed by T. C. Visscher in 1906. Application is to construct bulkhead and install mechanical equipment and railings.
CB8 Hearing: 09/19/16 (Approved)
LPC Hearing: 09/20/16 (Approved)
FRIENDS finds the proposed rooftop addition to be minimally visible and appropriate for this building. This rowhouse already has some small rooftop accretions, and has even had an elevator in place since 1930, so the enlargement of the elevator bulkhead is in keeping with the history of the building. The metal cladding on the roof will not draw attention to itself, and the overall size and scale of the bulkheads are modest.
Although not a part of this application, FRIENDS is pleased that the applicant is proposing a traditional secondary elevation. In addition, our Committee felt that the presentation materials were very thorough with a high attention to detail, which we appreciate. FRIENDS finds this proposal tasteful, and supports the application.