1055 Lexington Avenue
Installation of a storefront, 1913; decorative marquee by Schwartz & Gross, 1926
Upper East Side Historic District Extension
A neo-Grec style row house designed by William Picken, built in 1877-78, and altered in 1913 with the installation of a storefront and in 1926 with a decorative marquee by Schwartz & Gross. Application is to legalize the installation of signage and mechanical equipment, and alterations to the storefront and enclosed sidewalk cafe, without Landmarks Preservation Commission permits.
CB8 Hearing: 06/17/13 (Disapproved)
LPC Hearing: 09/10/13 (Laid Over)
The Preservation Committee at FRIENDS recommends that the various architectural elements of the ground floor—including the storefront, the mushroom column, the decorative marquee, and the enclosed sidewalk café—be painted in a color scheme that will unify the composition, and relate in some way to the rest of the building and historic district. FRIENDS urges the Commission to work with the applicant in determining such a color scheme before approving this application.