William Poll – 1051 Lexington Avenue

William Poll Gourmet Foods
1051 Lexington Avenue
Established 1921



2022 will be remembered for many important reasons, but can we add that this year William Poll will be officially marking their 100th anniversary? As a small, family-owned gourmet shop on Lexington Avenue between 74th and 75th Street established in 1921, this is quite the accomplishment and certainly deserves recognition.

Socialites began shopping at William Poll almost since the beginning with a roster of names that continues to spin heads. However, it is not due to the fact that Henry Kissinger, Jackie Kennedy Onassis or even Tom Hanks have shopped here that keeps customers coming back. Without a single doubt, it is the amazing food that is prepared each day on the premises as well as the warm and knowledgeable staff that serves their clientele - with a majority of this staff having been with William Poll for decades. And this includes Stanley Poll, himself, the son of the founder. At age 83, he is there on a daily basis to greet people, and to oversee the entire operation.

William Poll is a quiet giant among small businesses in New York. They could have expanded numerous times throughout the years, but, up until now, they have always chosen to stay true to whom they were - and whom they continue to be - a family run business that is 100% dedicated to their neighborhood.


Originally built in 1928, the 2-story commercial building at 1051 Lexington Avenue was commissioned by the Teeson Construction Company and designed by architects Schwartz & Gross. Both prominent architects of German descent, Simon Schwarz and Arthur Gross met at Hebrew Technical Institute, established their firm in 1902, and are responsible for many NY apartment buildings, including the Art Deco “Ghostbusters” building on the UWS. 1051 Lexington replaced 1 brownstone of an original row of 6, designed by architect William Picken, and built in 1877-78. The low-scale commercial building was significantly altered in 1945, with a futuristic canopy by architect Louis Santangelo. Prior to William Poll, the building housed a private ambulance company, a car showroom, and a real estate office.