Schaller & Weber is New York’s best offering of authentic German meat and sausages. Founder Ferdinand Schaller began as an apprentice butcher and sausage maker in Stuttgart, Germany. Years later, in 1937, he emigrated to the Yorkville region of the Upper East Side and met Tony Weber— together they opened Schaller & Weber. The shop offers classic, traditional European-style delicacies and sausages, as well as condiments, pâtés, and spreads. An accomplished business, they have received multiple medals of honor at exhibitions in Holland and Germany. Today, Ferdinand’s grandson, Jeremy Schaller, continues his grandfather’s legacy. Though the neighborhood that Schaller & Weber resides in has changed over the decades, their technique has remained the same.
Home to the beloved Schaller and Weber since 1937, the two buildings at 1652 and 1654 Second Avenue were part of a row of three four-story buildings built in 1868. The building to the north, at the corner of East 86th Street still retains some of the details of the original row, with its prominent stone façade, arched windows, and galvanized iron cornice. Other details, such as the streamlined stone lintels have been long gone. At 1654 Second Avenue, the outer layer of the stone façade has been removed, exposing the brick underneath and squaring the windows openings. Commissioned by Henry Heins, the buildings were designed by German architect Julius Boekell, with stores on the street level, and two apartments per floor above.